Girmit

7:09 PM Unknown 0 Comments

Girmit is a popular snack from Hubli in North Karnataka. One of the fondest memories from my hostel days is me and my roomies sharing a plate of girmit in the evening and gossiping with our other friends. When I got married my husband took me to the girmit vendor near the bridge in Deshpande nagar(I would say one of the best girmits in town). I always asked the guy for the recipe but he would say its a secret. I tried recreating the girmit at home and I think I was successful. Different vendors make girmit in different styles, some make it a little wet(like susla) and some make it dry. This is the recipe for dry girmit.

Ingredients:
- Puffed rice also known as churmuri, mamra, mandakki
- Oil
- Jeera
- Finely chopped green chillies
- Curry leaves
- Chopped onion
- Chopped tomato
- Lemon
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of sugar
- Little garam masala
- Little dhaniya-jeera powder
- Little turmeric
- Roasted chana powder
- Cilantro to garnish



Procedure:
1. Take some oil in a vessel, add a tspn of jeera and once it splutters, add the green chillies, curry leaves and chopped onion and fry till the onion is translucent.
2. Add the garam masala, jeera-dhaniya powder, turmeric, salt and sugar and mix well. Next squeeze lemon and add the chopped tomatoes and turn off the gas. We dont want the tomato to cook.
3. Add the tadka(made in step 1-2) to the puffed rice and mix well. Next add roasted chana powder to the mixture, this helps in making the girmit dry(it soaks up the oil) and adds taste to the girmit.
4. Garnish with cilantro and chopped onion.

It is that easy to make girmit at home. Serve it with fried green chillies(sprinkle some salt on it), hot bhajjis and a cup of hot tea.

Step wise pictures.






You Might Also Like

0 comments: