Snow peas palya (Indian Style)

11:27 AM Unknown 0 Comments

I was walking down the fresh produce aisle in Trader Joe's. Doing my weekly grocery shopping, ready to pick the veggies I wanted for the upcoming week. Just the same old same old. It was getting really boring. Eating the same veggies every week. I wanted to try something new this time. So, I was scanning through the options I had. And this particular vegetable caught my eye, Snow Peas. This is mostly used in stir fry dishes. It gives them a unique crunch and freshness which I love.
But I wanted to make some Indian dish out of this. A side to be eaten with chapathi/ roti or rice. So here is the recipe for the Indian version of snow peas palya (in Kannada).

Ingredients:

  • A packet of snow peas from Trader Joe's, chopped (I am not sure about its quanity, but must be 1/2 lbs).
  • 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds.
  • 1/8 tsp of hing.
  • 1 tsp of red chilli powder.
  • 1/2 tsp of mango powder (for that tangy kick).
  • Salt to taste.
  • 1/4 tsp of curry leaves powder (you can use whole curry leaves) .
  • 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions.
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
  • 1 to 2 tsp of oil.
Method:
  • To a pan/ kadai, add the oil and when its hot add mustard seeds. Wait for it to splutter (If adding whole curry leaves, you add it in this stage).

  • To the above, add finely chopped onions, hing, turmeric and saute for about 2 mins.




  • Now add the snow peas and fry for one min.

  • Now, add the salt, curry leaves powder and red chilli powder and stir to combine. 











  • Cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins or till the snow peas is cooked.


  • And now finally, add 1/2 tsp of mango powder, combine and serve!!




The dish is ready to serve. It tastes amazing!! I love eating this with yogurt rice. But you can eat this with sambar rice, chapathi, etc. Now you don't have to limit your options to Indian vegetables!! Let us know what you think!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: